Having established a successful three-year partnership with Families Forward of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea council, See Change Films was commissioned to provide a four-month film training programme for local families. The participants, now known as 1001 Stories, directed, filmed and edited three documentaries on issues of their own choosing.
“It’s amazing to see families coming together more as the result of the film course, communicating better, and just improving the relationships they have as a family.”
-Madeleine Quin, Debuty Manager at Families Forward
In our third film-training course delivered in partnership with Families Forward, the film participants were encouraged to take ownership of their documentaries – to choose and explores subjects that they were passionate about. This film initiative also saw participants from previous courses with Families Forward come back as mentors, supporting new trainees whilst also developing their confidence and skills further.
One of the three documentaries produced during the course, ‘The Changing Westway’, explores the re-development of Ladbroke Grove and the community fighting to protect its identity and heritage. Like many local residents mum of two and film trainee, Olivera, is worried that the area known for its community spirit will become unaffordable to many people who call it home.
The two other documentaries produced take us on journeys to discover three incredible female role models and also the high-energy world of skateboarding, revealing a community of people passionate about this sport.
- 13 people trained in filmmaking
- 5 former trainees supported the filming project as mentors, gaining skills in leadership
- Three documentaries produced on the topics chosen by the film trainees
- The documentaries were premiered at See Change Films’ Graduation event in front of a large audience, with the filmmakers introducing their own work
- Councillor Robert Freeman, the Mayor of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, visited the filmmakers prior to film premiere
- See Change Films is working with the film trainees to distribute the films to film festivals, broadcasters and online.